From Crete we took the ferry to Athens. Athens was somewhere we were incredibly excited to visit and it was amazing.
We used AirBnB, if you don't have an account you can use this link to create one & get a NZD $50 credit :) - www.airbnb.co.nz/c/katyh793
Our apartment was beautiful, one of the nicer places we have stayed, almost brand new and a big two bedroom. Although close enough to the center and all the sights, it turned out not to be in a great area. We walked to and from our place every day and never had any problems (although we we were careful not to go out at night) but several taxi drivers told us we really shouldn't stay there (don't tell my Dad !).
We did not rent a car in Athens, we taxi on big trips - from the Ferry and to the Airport. We walked everywhere and also bought the 3-day pass to the hop on/off tourist bus and used that a lot, even when we weren't seeing the sights.
What we did:
Saw. The. Sights.
- Central Square & Markets, our first day we just went for a walk, got our bearings and had a look around Athens.
- The Acropolis, Wow just wow, walking around The Parthenon and surrounds gave us goosebumps. It was beyond incredible (and also beyond busy). I could have stayed there all day, but the little legs were hot and tired. TIPS - buy your tickets online & the queue is shorter, there is a pram check near the ticket office & take water - they ran out !
- The Acropolis Museum, we enjoyed the Museum so much. The Museum is beautiful and the collection is just incredible and it's definitely worth a visit after the Acropolis. The girls (and us) loved the lego model of The Acropolis.
- The Panatheniac Stadium, this was really fun to visit and the girls had a great time, we raced and took podium photos too. We found this stadium just beautiful, it is the only one in the world made entirely of marble. Although obviously incredibly old and with much Olympic history, it is not the original Olympic stadium, which is several hours out of Athens. Be sure to go up the tunnel too.
- Athens also has some beautiful parks and green areas and we spent a couple of afternoons just chillin' :)
Oh my goodness, the food in Athens was amazing, I am just loving the Greek food, Mark not so much. I wouldn't say everywhere was amazing, I definitely had to hunt out a few spots, but they were worth it .. but I didn't write down the names .. I will start !
Smoothies - the only Smoothie place I found in Athens was Fontana - Aiolou 17, Athina 105 51, Greece
Happy to answer any questions :)
Lots more photos on Instagram and Facebook